Broken Rhythms dancers are strong and passionate about community, creativity and dance. We celebrate the individual dancers for their strength, commitment and authenticity on stage.
Carlene studied at the Sports Excellence Program in an Alberta, which gave her the opportunity to focus more extensively on her dance training and the freedom to travel across Canada and the U.S to work with established teachers and choreographers. She has been working professionally in the dance community as an instructor and choreographer since 2005 most recently teaching classes at Passion and Performance Studios in Victoria B.C. Carlene has been a Broken Rhythms company member since 2014 and has toured to Edmonton, Halifax and all over Vancouver Island including many main stage Broken Rhythms productions and collaboration projects with local arts groups. Broken Rhythms has become an invaluable part of Carlene’s life, and she still finds herself in awe of the incredible training, touring and performance opportunities she continues to receive with the company.
- Caleigh began dancing at the age of 7 and knew she had found the thing that would be able to transform her thoughts into understanding. After 5 years of living, traveling, and dancing abroad she returned to Victoria and completed her Bachelor of Sport and Fitness Leadership as well as her Associates in Tap and Modern faculties from the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing. She currently teaches at various studios on the island and co-owns RNS Dance Inc. Caleigh began dancing with Broken Rhythms in 2015 and is looking forward to a 2 show season this year with the company. When she’s not dancing you can find her traveling or drinking coffee! Caleigh believes that dance has the power to build strong, creative, and empowered communities.
- Heidi graduated top of her class from the Randolph College for the Performing Arts in Toronto, receiving the prestigious “Triple Threat Award”. Musical theatre credits include Drayton Entertainment’s Annie Get Your Gun, Capitol Theatre’s My Fair Lady, Stirling Festival Theatre’s Singin’ in the Rain, Moonpath Productions’ Annie, and the Canadian Premiere of Mel Brooks’ The Producers, choreographed by Susan Stroman. Since migrating back home to Victoria, Heidi has worked as choreographer for Victoria Operatic Society’s Miss Saigon, and performed with Broken Rhythms in their Spoken Word Festival collaboration, Lash Bash fundraisers and their full-length show, Thyself. She is an Apprentice Contract Dancer with the company. Performing arts aside, Heidi is a yoga instructor, audiology student, and mama of 2 tiny dancers, Nico and Miya.
- Originally from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Christina began her dance training at the age of two when her parents put her in dance classes in an effort to curb her never-ending energy. Since moving to BC, Christina has continued to explore her love of dance by taking different classes in ballet, jazz, contemporary and hip-hop. Christina is a founding member of Broken Rhythms, and has performed in many of their works, including Spark, Grim, Universal Horrors, and Thyself. She has toured with the company on Vancouver Island, as well as to Toronto to perform in the 2017 Fringe Festival. Outside of dance, Christina loves to travel and is pursuing a Master of Public Health.
- Sara was born and raised on the east coast of Canada, and has fallen in love with Vancouver Island after moving to Victoria in 2012. She began dancing at a young age, and after taking a short break to pursue a career in Interior Design, her passion was reignited after moving to the island and taking classes in contemporary, hiphop, and jazz at Raino Dance.Sara started dancing with Broken Rhythms in 2017, performing in a collaborative show with Convergence Contemporary Ballet Company, in the show ‘Thyself’, and at LashBash.When she isn’t dancing, you can find Sara working in the design studio, painting, spending time near the ocean, or hiking in the forest
- Allison was born and raised on Vancouver Island, where she began dancing at the age of three. During her youth, she spent several years training with Dancestreams Youth Dance Company, which provided her opportunities to work with acclaimed choreographers and tour both locally and internationally. Additionally, she has trained with Art’s Umbrella’s dance company, at The National Ballet School of Canada, and with École Supérieure de Ballet du Québec. Currently, she works in the Greater Victoria School District, where she specializes in teaching Dance, Drama, and English. This is her first year dancing with Broken Rhythms, where she has the pleasure of working in the position of Company Development.
- Sadie was born and raised in Victoria, where she has been dancing and choreographing since high school. A project manager by day, Sadie moonlights as a member of girl group The Saltines and has performed with Atomique Vaudeville’s Rocky Horror Show and VOS’s Rent, Chorus Line and Spamalot. This is Sadie’s first year dancing with Broken Rhythms and she is thrilled to have joined this warm and talented team.